Saturday, July 17, 2010

Second Thoughts

So, I know that I'm the one who said we needed to take a break, but the not-trying may actually be worse than the trying-but-failing that I have become so familiar with. I'm thinking we may need to go back to the RE next week to talk about what we can do moving forward. We have started to talk very seriously about IVF, but I am honestly not educated enough about the process. We need some guidance about what is best for our situation before we make a decision.

On another note, I have been studying for my candidacy (generals) exam at school. For those who haven't had the pleasure of enduring this test, it is one of many hoops that I must jump through to get my PhD. The exam is 2 parts, written and oral. The written exam, which I get to take in 2 weeks, is a 4 day-long essay exam which is designed to test specific knowledge in my area of research as well as my analytical ability. The oral exam is 2 weeks after the written and generally involves grilling the candidate on anything they didn't answer well on the written. It also involves questions which are not even remotely related to my area of research, I've heard of people being asked things like "how old is the universe" and "what is the milky way". This portion of the exam is designed to "take the candidate down a peg" and show them that they don't know quite as much as they think they do. I am scared shitless to take this exam, but at the same time, I am so excited to have it done (assuming I pass).

No comments:

Post a Comment